Tuesday, March 9, 2010

No Cat(nipping)!


Stop me before I start! It is not even Spring and all I want to do is run out and buy herbs. Every year I grow a "Scratch and Sniff" garden on a Baker's Rack on the front porch and that includes a huge pot of Catnip.

We don't own a cat (Nipper wouldn't allow it), but I do love growing the stuff to give to our feline chums. I tie it up with fancy ribbon and present it like a bouquet. Problem is, not every cat likes it. I shouldn't have had my feelings hurt because it turns out that they aren't ungrateful, it is because the ability to react to Catnip is genetic. Studies estimate that between 10-30% of cats are unaffected by "the nip." (Sort of like not all people can roll their tongues!)

Now I know. But for those of you whose cats get a jolt from the stuff, tell me this...do they prefer the fresh or dried kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment