Sunday, May 23, 2010

I'm a Dog Watcher!




*Singing*
(In my prettiest, warbilest voice to the tune of “Girl Watcher” by the O’Kaysions):

“I’m a dog watcher.
I’m a dog watcher.
Watchin’ dogs go by.
My, my, my…”.


Now I may not have been awarded the Presidential Physical Fitness Award in grade school (I didn’t want to do those stupid 100 sit ups anyway), but as an adult I have excelled at the sport of dog watching.

You see, my inner child never progressed beyond the stage of pointing to every canine she sees and practically shrieking, Doggie! Doggie, doggie, doggie!

Dog watching never gets old and my absolute most favorite place in the world to indulge is Hyde Park Square. It is a dog-watcher’s heaven on earth. There is absolutely nothing better than sitting at one of those little tables out in front of Awakenings with a sugar-free, fat-free, vanilla latte and watching the pooches on parade.

They range from pure-breds to mutts, and the owners are all equally proud. Most are willing, if not eager to stop and let you pet their pals and share their stories. It is people at their friendliest and most open in ways they might never be if they didn‘t have their dogs with them. Admiring someone’s dog is a sure-fire conversation starter and a great equalizer. The truth is, from my own experience with my own dogs, is you are not just walking your dog…it is your heart at the end of that leash and you are taking it out for all the world to see.

Do you have a favorite dog watching spot? I'd love to know! C'mon, after all, turn-about is fair play!

No comments:

Post a Comment